How To Protect Your Hair In This Summer Season?
Everyone knows that the sun is pretty harmful to the skin, especially during the summer season. This is why we make sure to take a number of precautions that prove to be helpful for our skin. However, the summer sun also has adverse effects on our hair too.
The sun’s heat can negatively contribute to the withering of hair and even lead to oxidative damage, leading to your hair becoming brittle, stiff and dry.
We will help you get a clear understanding of the sun’s effects on hair, as well as give you some pretty simple hair protection tips as well. In short, we will get you a short summer hair care routine for yourself.
How Does The Sun Actually Affect Your Hair?
- The sun’s UV rays can easily enter the cuticles of hair, further leading to dryness, brittle hair and withering.
- Radiation from the UV rays then makes way to the cortex, causing loss of pigmentation and reduction in protein levels, which is a major factor for heavy hair damage.
- The sheer heat from the sun is enough to turn your hair limp and lifeless. This happens because of the high level of humidity present in the atmosphere.
- The sweat and dust, two obviously present things during the summer give rise to hair problems like dandruff, split ends and an increased hair fall too.
- The higher temperatures and exposure to sun can lead to an increased dryness of the hair.
Avoiding exposure to the sun during summers can take you a long way, if you keep in mind just a few little tips to take care of them before going outdoors.
Here Are Some Of Those Best Hair Tips For Summer
1. Avoid Using A Lot of Cosmetics
In summers, hair tends to get dried up. All you need to do is ensure not going for any kind of a chemical hair treatment during this season. Also, avoid colouring your hair too much, both at your home or even at the spa.
2. Use A Good Quality Conditioner
Because the sun dries out your hair, you need to find a good quality conditioner that suits your hair in order to restore the moisture. A rinse-out conditioner will be your best bet.
3. Be Careful With The Use of Shampoo
While washing your hair regularly with a shampoo might be a really good idea, doing this might actually be more harmful for your hair. A lot of shampoo can suck out the moisture from your hair.
If your hair gets more sweaty and greasy, choose a mild shampoo that is good in summer. Also, try applying it on the scalp only, as it will run down the hair too. Using shampoo separately on the hair will lead to dry hair.
4. Avoid Heat To Dry Your Hair
Try to minimize the use of a blow dryer for drying out your hair. You can make a little effort to wash your hair a little earlier, so that they can dry up only with air itself.
5. Drink Loads of Liquids
It is important for you to understand that if you are taking the above precautions seriously, but not drinking enough water, you will not be able to achieve anything. Keep drinking cool liquids that will help you keep your hair healthy. Drink plenty of water, fresh fruit and vegetable juices as much as you can.
Simple DIY Hair Care Masks
To further be of assistance for your hair care, here are a couple of pretty simple hair masks for summer that you can apply on your hair –
- Egg & Mayo Hair Mask For Dry, Damaged Hair
- Ingredients –
- 1/4th cup yoghurt
- 1 egg white
- 1/4th cup mayo
- Ingredients –
All you need to do is blend these three ingredients together, apply the mixture properly on the hair right through the scalp and rinse it after 30 minutes.
Egg and mayonnaise contain proteins, which are a requisite for healthy hair. This hair mask therefore, will be a lot of help.
- Deep Conditioning Mask
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup mayo, that is at room temperature
Again, just mix everything and apply on the hair. Focus a little more on the ends. Wrap a towel around the air and rinse with normal water after about 20 minutes.
If your hair is already damaged because of heavy sun exposure, it can be a little difficult to repair them, but it’s not impossible. Keep using the right hair remedy for your hair, and you will definitely see results after some time.